Monday, July 12, 2010

Hollow Men and Mosquitoes

The book. The book, the book, the book. It's all I think about these days. I almost can't wait for the commute to and from work, just to have the uninterrupted time and headspace. (Which is a little scary, considering I'm supposed to be driving. I won't admit how many times I've blown right past my freeway exit because of wool gathering.) So, I spend every day at work, buying books written by other people, wishing I could be home, writing my own. And all the while, the creative pots are bubbling away on the backburner: Plot ideas are at a nice, low simmer, character dialogue is as fresh and al dente as it gets, and brilliant themes erupt in small clouds of delicious steam.

Then a funny thing happens. I manage to carve out some writing time, I get my trusty notebook and V5 pen, and I finally sit down to write ... and suddenly I'm in creative purgatory. The brilliant ideas? They turn into mush on the page. The bon mots I thought so clever on that morning commute? Overcooked words, as limp and boring as ruined spaghetti with the blandest of sauces. This happens all too frequently - at the beginning of just about every writing session - and every time I experience it, I think of the lines from T.S. Eliot's poem "The Hollow Men":

...Between the idea
And the reality
Between the motion
And the act
Falls the Shadow...

It's as though I intimately know the "soul" of the work - I feel it deeply - but something always comes between the internal knowing and the external expression of it. The end result never matches what I have in my head, never comes even close to how fantastical and wonderful it is in my imagination. The self-defeating temptation here, of course, is to give in to that sense of expressive failure and say, "Well, if I can't convey it perfectly, I won't convey it at all" and so write nothing. Difficult as it is to drum up and apply, the only real antidote to this is discipline. Well, that and faith. Write it and worry about the rest of it later. Go through the motions and the motives will follow. And for inspiration to do just that, I turn away from Mr. Eliot and seek out the kindlier advice of Annie Dillard as expressed in The Writing Life:

Another luxury for an idle imagination is the writer’s feeling about the work. There is neither a proportional relationship, nor an inverse one, between a writer’s estimation of a work in progress and its actual quality. The feeling that the work is magnificent, and the feeling that it is abominable, are both mosquitoes to be repelled, ignored, or killed, but not indulged.

Thank you, Ms. Dillard. Repel, ignore, or kill the mosquitoes, but don't indulge them. Duly noted.
Art: The Hollow Men by Howard Penning

2 comments:

Discussions Magazine said...

Okay so I'm no writer and I am the queen of audio books...so I give this advice with complete authority over NOTHING!

I'd say it's time to get your trusty voice recorder out in the car. While you’re trapped on the 405 with just you and the brain, harness some of those great ideas. As they churn, get them out and recorded. Hearing the original thought as it happened might just be the key. This is why I like audio books so much, especially when they are read by the writer; you get some real insight into the writer that way. You get to hear their voice inflections, level of excitement and specific phrasing that came in that authentic moment of creation. Okay, so maybe not but somehow I believe that the author recalls some of the writing of the book and what might have been going on in his/her mind when they wrote it…or not…whatever!

My point is that going back and hearing your ideas later but with the same voice that sold you on them initially might make it easier to keep the spaghetti al dente even after its had time to marinate in the sauce for hours.
Just an idea!

Besides, that would be great sound-bites for my viral marketing campaign!

RC said...

Jen, you (and the worthy Mr. Eliot) have expressed so well, and with such pertinence, the very frustration I feel when I finally get a chance to write what I have been aching to write only to find I've written something that aches. You really hit it with:

It's as though I intimately know the "soul" of the work - I feel it deeply - but something always comes between the internal knowing and the external expression of it.

Yes! Yes! Though I sometimes do wonder if I'm the guy in the joke who wakes up in the middle of the night in a state of creative excitement, suddenly possessed of a magnificent story idea, a flash of genius. Groggily, he scribbles the idea onto a pad of paper on his nightstand and falls back to sleep. In the morning he awakens with the memory of writing down something wonderful, but what? He eagerly grabs the pad of paper and reads: "Boy meets girl."

I also have to say that my ideas emerge best through writing, rather than speaking -- though I do love to write dialogue!

Thanks, Jen for this post.